How to Jump Start Your Vehicle
Need a quick lesson on how to jump start a car? In this step-by-step guide from Mercedes-Benz Burlington you’ll learn how to connect jumper cables and how to boost a car battery so you can get safely back on Hamilton-area roads.
Steps to Jump Start Your Car
These steps will describe how to connect jumper cables to properly jump start a car:
- Ask for help. In order to jump start your car, you will need another vehicle to help you out.
- Take out the jumper cables included in your emergency roadside kit.
- Place your vehicle and the vehicle assisting you in park or neutral and turn off the ignition on both cars.
- Attach one red clip to the positive terminal of your battery. This part should display “POS” or “+” on it.
- Attach the second red clip to the positive terminal of the other vehicle’s battery.
- Attach one black clip to the negative terminal of the other vehicle’s battery.
- Finally, attach the second black clip to an unpainted metal surface on your car away from your battery.
- At this point, have the other driver start their vehicle and let the engine run.
- Then, try to start your own vehicle.
Tips on How to Boost a Car Battery
Consider this information as you figure out how to jump start your vehicle:
- If your vehicle starts, don’t turn off the engine. Leave it running and drive around for a few minutes to recharge the battery.
- If your vehicle doesn’t start the next time you drive it, then your battery likely isn’t holding a charge and needs to be replaced.
- If your vehicle won’t start from the jump, turn both engines off and make sure the cables are connected properly. If it doesn’t start when you try again, you may need a tow to the nearest Mercedes-Benz dealership.
Schedule Service with Mercedes-Benz Burlington
Knowing how to connect jumper cables to boost a car battery is something that can come in handy for drivers throughout the Dundas area. If your battery continues to lose its charge, or if your check engine light has turned on, it may be necessary to schedule an appointment with the Mercedes-Benz Burlington Service Center. We are happy to help all Ancaster with their service needs including Service A and Service B!