How to Jump Start Your Vehicle
Need a quick lesson on how to jump start your vehicle? If you find yourself needing to recharge a dead battery in the Hamilton area, consult this guide courtesy of Mercedes-Benz Burlington!
Steps to Jump Start Your Vehicle
To safely jump start your vehicle, follow these steps:
- Ask for help. In order to jump start your car, you will need another vehicle to help you out.
- Take out the jumper cables included in your emergency roadside kit.
- Place your vehicle and the vehicle assisting you in park or neutral and turn off the ignition on both cars.
- Attach one red clip to the positive terminal of your battery. This part should display “POS” or “+” on it.
- Attach the second red clip to the positive terminal of the other vehicle’s battery.
- Attach one black clip to the negative terminal of the other vehicle’s battery.
- Finally, attach the second black clip to an unpainted metal surface on your car away from your battery.
- At this point, have the other driver start their vehicle and let the engine run.
- Then, try to start your own vehicle.
Tips on Recharging a Dead Battery
Consider this information as you figure out how to jump start your vehicle:
- If your vehicle starts, don’t turn off the engine. Leave it running and drive around for a few minutes to recharge the battery.
- If your vehicle doesn’t start the next time you drive it, then your battery likely isn’t holding a charge and needs to be replaced.
- If your vehicle won’t start from the jump, turn both engines off and make sure the cables are connected properly. If it doesn’t start when you try again, you may need a tow to the nearest Mercedes-Benz dealership.
Schedule Service with Mercedes-Benz Burlington
If your battery continues to lose its charge, or if your check engine light has turned on, it may be necessary to schedule an appointment with the Mercedes-Benz Burlington Service Center. We are happy to help all Ancaster with their service needs!