How to Repair Car Dents and Scratches
It can be disheartening to see a new dent or scratch or your vehicle. However, the experts at Mercedes-Benz Burlington will teach you how to fix a small dent in a car safely and easily. If you don’t want to fix it yourself, you can always bring it into our highly-trained service centre. Learn more about how to fix a dent in a car with the experts at Mercedes-Benz Burlington today! If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact us anytime!
DIY Scratch Repair
If there is a small scratch in your vehicle, and you don’t want to take it to a dealership for repair, here are a few tips on how to fix scratches on a car.
- Candle Wax – Although only a temporary solution, candle wax will hide small imperfections. Just carefully apply the wax to the area and watch it disappear. It is important to note that you should always clean the area prior to applying wax.
- Super Glue – Similar to the candle wax method, superglue also helps to temporarily mask scratches and blends in nicely with the rest of the vehicle.
- Paint Polish or Rubbing Compound – Paint correcting is a safe and effective way to remove light scratches and swirl marks. It is always recommended starting with the least aggressive method first, as you can always step it up later. If you need a more aggressive combination, go for a compound with more cut and a more abrasive pad. If this isn’t enough, the next step is to wet sand the spot, however, this should only be used if the polishing stage cannot remove the scratch.
- Wet Sandpaper – Light surface scratches can be removed by using 2000-grit wet sandpaper. When the scratches are nearly invisible, a rubbing compound can be used to remove the haze left by the sandpaper. You should then use finer polishes wax to really make the area shine, and then a sealant or wax for protection. It is important to thoroughly clean your vehicle prior to fixing any type of scratches, and you should also wax the entire vehicle after fixing the scratch to make sure your paint is protected.
- Touch-Up Paint: You can purchase touch-up paint at service centers, which can mask deeper scratches that cannot be removed by the above methods.
DIY Dent Repair
If you have a small dent in your vehicle, these tried and true DIY dent repairs can be done right in your Oakville driveway. Here are a few tips on how to fix a dent in a car:
- Plunger – Believe it or not, a plunger of any kind can repair small dents on your vehicle. The plunger will often remove the dents after a few attempts of bringing the dent back to the surface.
- Hammer or Mallet – These tools are useful for fixing dents, as they allow you to bang out a dent from the opposite side. It is important to protect the side you are hammering with a microfiber cloth to prevent any damage. It is common practice to use the hammer for small dents, and a mallet for larger ones.
- Dent Puller – You should use this method with caution, as you have to drill a hole through the dent and pull it back to the surface. You then have to fill the hole, prime, and paint.
Choose Mercedes-Benz Burlington for Paint and Dent Removal
If you feel the damage warrants the experience of a professional, come stop by our service centre at Mercedes-Benz Burlington! Our experienced technicians know how to fix scratches on a car, and will have your vehicle looking like new! Visit our website and schedule an appointment for service today! Check out our website for more car care tips and tricks!
More from Mercedes-Benz Burlington
If you’re looking for a roomy luxury midsize SUV near Oakville, take a moment to learn about the Mercedes-Benz GLC dimensions and Mercedes-Benz GLC cargo space. Then, apply for financing and contact Mercedes-Benz Burlington to schedule for a test drive in Burlington! Learn MoreGLC Inventory Mercedes-Benz GLC Interior Dimensions With seating for 5 Milton passengers, the…
Are you shopping for a luxury crossover near Oakville? You’ll want to take a look at the Mercedes-Benz GLA 250 interior. Complete with premium materials and futuristic technologies, it has everything you could want from a top-shelf SUV. The Mercedes-Benz GLA dimensions are also quite impressive. Take a moment to learn about some of…
If you’re just starting your search for a new model, consult the Mercedes-Benz price list to find the vehicles in budget. Then, reach out at 877-557-3007 to find out how much you could save on your favorite models in our lineup. New Inventory Below, we’ve listed the manufacturer’s recommended starting price for the most affordable…